Friday, May 3, 2013

Sara Ylen's pathological lying finally catches up with her

Who is Sara Ylen, you ask? She is a fairly well known rape "victim." So why did I use quotation marks around the term "victim" just now? Because her entire rape claim is false. And in an attempt to get more attention, she filed a false rape claim. And another. And now, she finally got arrested for filing a false felony and tampering with evidence. She could get up to 14 years in prison. She should serve at least the same amount as the man she falsely accused.

Sara Ylen claimed she was raped by a man in a Meijer parking light in broad daylight then picked her victim at random off of the public sex offender registry (making her relevant for this blog). The man she accused was convicted after less than one hour of jury deliberation, despite absolutely no evidence other than Sara Ylen's testimony, and in 2003 the man was sentenced to the maximum penalty, 15-35 years.

So while a man sat in prison for years, the victim of a false accusation, Ylen got a lot of attention. Her false rape case was featured on the Oxygen TV series "Captured." She spoke at rape awareness events like "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes." She even claimed she was battling cancer as a result of HPV she supposedly received from the rape that never occurred.

She needs professional help. She has made multiple accusations over the years so I suggest civil commitment.

Sara Ylen taken into custody
In connection to assault report
 May 2, 2013   |   7 Comments

A 38-year-old Lexington woman was taken into custody Thursday on charges of tampering with evidence and reporting a false felony in connection with a sexual assault she reported to police Sept. 18. She could be arraigned as early as Friday.

Sara Ylen was arrested Thursday in Lexington and transported to the St. Clair County jail, Maria Miller, Wayne County assistant prosecuting attorney, said in an email.

A report of a false felony is punishable by up to four years, while tampering with evidence is punishable by up to 10 years, Miller said.

Officials said Ylen reported the attack while in St. Clair County, but said it happened in Sanilac County.

Sanilac County Sheriff Garry Biniecki said Ylen alleged she had injuries related to the rape and was showing signs of bruising. But officers were able to determine the injuries were makeup, Biniecki said.

The cases ended up being handled by Wayne County prosecutors after St. Clair County Prosecutor Mike Wendling asked the state attorney general’s office to reassign the case due to his office’s relationship with Ylen in the James Grissom case.

Grissom was prosecuted and convicted of sexually assaulting Ylen in 2003. She said the attack happened in the parking lot of the Fort Gratiot Meijer.

Following the conviction, investigators in Michigan, California and Colorado determined Ylen had reported she had been sexually assaulted in other instances but could not substantiate those crimes.

Charges against Grissom were dropped after the Michigan Supreme Court granted Grissom a new trial after learning of the unsubstantiated claims.

Wendling requested the dismissal instead of a new trial, citing the length of time since the alleged incident and new evidence that had been discovered.

Grissom was released from custody Nov. 19, after almost a decade behind bars.

Separately, Michigan State Police Detective Sgt. Brian Ferguson is conducting a fraud investigation involving Ylen.

Ferguson said the case has been handed over to the Sanilac County Prosecutor’s Office.

Lucy Higgins, administrative assistant for Sanilac County Prosecutor James Young, said the fraud case is still in the process of review.

Details about that case have not been released.

The Times Herald normally does not identify victims of sexual assault. Ylen was identified when she asked the paper to tell her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment